The Georgia Geographic Alliance (GGA) is a non-profit organization of individuals who believe that geographic knowledge is essential to the success of our state and nation. Our mission is to enhance geographic education and research through the development and promotion of place-based learning opportunities for Georgia K-12 teachers and students across all disciplines especially in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields. With this mission, the GGA seeks to ensure that Georgia students, teachers, and community members are global thinkers, geographically-minded problem solvers, and internationally competitive workers.
Within our mission, The Georgia Geographic Alliance has the following objectives:
- Develop and share innovative lesson plans and place-based learning activities for Georgia teachers and K-12 students to explore local communities and regions around the state
- Provide professional development and curriculum-focused educational and research training programs for individuals interested in utilizing geographic approaches
- Cultivate strategic interdisciplinary linkages between geography and related disciplines, especially in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields
- Utilize pedagogical approaches that integrate technology into the study of geography and emphasize Earth as an interconnected system linking human and physical perspectives
- Emphasize the power of community geography and place-based learning in local settings to connect core geographic concepts with local/regional issues
- Broaden participation of underrepresented populations in geography and all related disciplines, especially STEM infused disciplines
- Create collaborative educational/research opportunities and informal mentoring connections between Georgia college students/faculty, Georgia K-12 students/teachers, and community members/organizations
Since its creation in 1990, thousands of Georgia teachers have participated in Alliance programs and activities and have passed on their love of geography to their students. To carry out its activities, the Alliance has enjoyed support from the National Geographic Society and the Georgia Department of Education. The Georgia Geographic Alliance was housed at Georgia State University from its founding in 1988 until 2006. From 2006 until 2013, the Alliance was housed at Kennesaw State University in the Department of Geography & Anthropology, College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Alliance returned to Georgia State University in the Department of Geosciences in August 2013.
Alliance membership is free and open to all who believe in the importance of a sound geographic education for Georgia’s children. We particularly encourage membership from Georgia teachers, Georgia policy makers, Georgia parents, and community partners.
We are always looking for individual, organizational, or corporate partnerships to move forward Alliance objectives and activities. Please contact us directly if you would like to partner with The Georgia Geographic Alliance.